Saturday, September 6, 2014

Green Tomato Honey Chutney

I made this chutney recipe from "The Moosewood Cookbook" (1977).    My copy is falling apart as I have used it so extensively over the years.  I like that the recipe uses honey instead of sugar.  It also doesn't have many ingredients so it comes together quickly.  My batch with my modifications to the ingredients made six 1 cup (250 ml) jars - so not too big of a batch.



It looks a little redder here when a picture was taken without a flash.

Click on this link to go to a printable recipe.
With my modifications typed below it made 6 x 1 cup - 250 ml jars

INGREDIENTS:
2.5 pounds green tomatoes - a little over a kilogram
3 Tbsp finely minced fresh ginger - 45 ml
4 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tsp mustard seed - 5 ml
1 1/2 tsp cumin seed (or ground) - 7.5 ml
2 tsp sea salt - 10 ml
1 cup honey - 250 ml
1 cup apple cider vinegar - 250 ml - I used organic
cayenne pepper, ground to taste - I used 1 tsp - 5 ml

I used a mix of lightly red and green tomatoes cut chunky style.  The other mincing is the fresh garlic and ginger which is not mentioned above.  Not too much work.  Ignore the advice about "cool before packing" (more below).


Stir all ingredients together, bring to a boil and simmer for an hour.  You can add the cayenne at the end if you want to gauge spiciness.  I like hot food so I added a whole teaspoon.



Ladle while hot into sterilized jars.  Seal jars and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.  Don't screw the lids on tight as you want oxygen to escape from the jar during processing.


Remove jars from water and set on cupboard to cool and seal.  I used long handle tongs to get the very hot jars out.  Use pot holders so you don't get any burns.  As they cool, count the pops based on the number of jars you did so you know they have all sealed.  Any jars that don't seal should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten first.


in good taste,
© Nancy Guppy, RD, MHSc
http://nancyguppy.com/

No comments: